Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Mysterious Game of Football

  "Take my out to the Ball Game.." I love baseball!  At least once a season, I go to Yankee Stadium. When the world series ends, I am counting the days until Spring training. But all through Fall and Winter, my friends watch the Mysterious Game of Football.  O well, I deal with it.
   I can understand the words: touchdown and intercepted, but when I hear the ref say, "Holding, number 23, that penalty is declined, first down," I recognize the English words, but darned it I know what it means. Now I've learned that a player broke a rule (holding) and the other team gets closer to their goal (first down).
   Another thing I hear the announcer say is: "first and ten."  I'm always hearing "first and ten" unless I hear: "first and twelve or first and goal." So now I have learned that this is the first attempt at ten or twelve yards or goal and that the team is allowed four attempts.
    It took about three years, but finally I am getting a better understanding of the mysterious game of football. Only last year I realized that the quarterback of my team is not on the field when the other team has the ball.  I learned quickly what it means when the quarterback is "sacked," but only yesterday did I learn the meaning of "blitzed."
    Just when I think I'm getting to understand this game, I learn a new rule...too many players on the field or not enough players on the field. Now you won't find that in baseball.

3 comments:

  1. Growing up cheering for football we had to learn or we couldn't do the right cheer at the appropriate time. Great blog. Give us more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! What is with all sports ( or maybe it's my mind) with the terms like
    Penetration????? Truely a man made up the terms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have any idea what the announcers are saying or what it all means. I like football because whenever I hear the announcers' voices it reminds me of watching with my Dad, it is so soothing that usually I end up falling asleep:)
    I'm glad I inspired you to start up a blog Aunt Anne! Great first post! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete